Austin Wedding Venues | The Allan House
So your best friend asked you to be her bridesmaid… hooray! Pop the bubbly and celebrate! As a bridesmaid, you agree to attending pre-wedding parties, standing alongside the happy couple on the aisle, and supporting your friend through the highs and lows of wedding planning. It’s a lot to take on, but so worth it! Your friend will appreciate your emotional support… and maybe one day she’ll even return the favor.
If the big day is getting closer, there are a few things you’ll want to consider to keep things running smoothly on the big day. Austin wedding venues are typically equipped with skilled wedding pros, but we could never do it all without the help of the bridal party. What’s the best thing you can do to keep her wedding day stress-free? Take care of all of your own details first! Bringing a bridal emergency kit for your girl isn’t much help if you forgot your own shoes. We’ve compiled a list of these must-have items bridesmaids will want to bring along to their Austin wedding venues:
- Bridesmaid dress (freshly pressed)
- Shoes (break them in before the big day if needed)
- Jewelry (earrings, necklace, bracelet)
- Undergarments (try on with the bridesmaids dress first to avoid any faux pas!)
- Makeup (even if you’re having it professionally done, it helps to have touchups at the ready)
- Hygiene necessities (deodorant, etc.)
- ^Ditto all of this for rehearsal dinner night!
It won’t make or break the big day if you forget these items, but we highly recommend them to help everything flow smoothly.
- Comfortable “getting ready” clothes: while many brides these days provide robes or pajama sets for their gals, it’s not a guarantee. Come prepared with comfortable clothes – that also look cute in photos – for the morning of the big day.
- Phone charger: everyone will be snapping a lot of photos throughout the day, causing your battery to die more quickly than usual. You’ll be a lifesaver for having a charger at the ready!
- Anything she needs: before you head to the wedding venue (or to the airport), check in with the maid of honor. Is there anything the bride needs? Anything that would help the maid of honor? Offer to print copies of vows or speeches, or to stop by the bride’s house to pick up any last-minute items. Offer to be a go-fer leading up to and on the wedding day.
ABOVE AND BEYOND:
Want to be the best bridesmaid ever? Tack these items onto your wedding day packing list:
- A “morning-of” present: think of a small little gesture you can offer to the bride on the morning of the wedding. Maybe it’s a note wishing her the happiest day, or a sixpence for her shoe. You can even package up a pretty bottle of champagne to add to the getting-ready fun.
- Bridal emergency kit: stock a cosmetic bag with everything the bride (or the bridal party) could possibly need. However, be discreet—the bride or maid of honor may already have one of these. You don’t want to steal her thunder if she’s excited to save the day. Be a polite yet helpful backup, just in case!
- A sendoff surprise: pull the wedding coordinator aside early in the day (before things get too chaotic) and give her a small bag to send off with the happy couple at the end of the night. Stock it with the newlyweds’ favorite cookies and a couple of water bottles so they can enjoy a late-night snack on the way to their wedding night hotel.
The most important thing to bring? A positive attitude. Nothing kills wedding day bliss faster than a grumpy bridesmaid. Mentally prep yourself before the big day… not every minute is guaranteed to be enjoyable, but an enthusiastic attitude will make waiting around or running errands a lot more fun for everybody. Plus, it’ll all be worth it when you see your friend as a stunning bride!
Allan House is honored to be one of the top Austin wedding venues. We’ve hosted countless bridesmaids at our Victorian-era venue, and we’d be happy to help anyone with questions. Feel free to get in touch anytime. Best of luck on the big day!