Outdoor weddings can be utterly swoon-worthy occasions. With natural lighting, dancing under the stars, and organic beauty all around, there’s a lot to be appreciated in outdoor nuptial ceremonies. But, that being said, there are some definite obstacles to watch out for if you’re thinking of saying I do outdoors. Brides, if you’re considering an outdoor wedding, plan ahead to avoid outdoor wedding uh-ohs:
- Sunshine: beautiful natural lighting is typically considered a perk of outdoor weddings. Watching the sun set over your nuptial vows and exquisitely styled tablescapes makes for a picturesque scene. However, think about the direction of all that natural light when you’re planning the layout of your wedding and reception! Ensure the sun doesn’t fall directly in your guests’ eyes at any point during the occasion. Make sure you think about the proper timing, too: the date of your wedding and its corresponding sunset timing (and daylight savings time) will affect the way the light falls on the big day.
- Lighting: have a solid plan for lighting once all that beautiful natural sunlight disappears. You can work with or tent vendors to install temporary lighting for an evening reception. If you’re booking with an established wedding venue, they will likely have all the accommodating lighting you need to keep guests dancing long into the night. For more lighting ideas, see our post here!
- Temperature: here at our Austin Texas wedding venue, it can get warm. Especially during summer months, consider accommodations to keep your guests cool. Whether you provide adorable handheld fans (which can double as ceremony programs!), outdoor fans, or an air-conditioned area of cool respite, make sure guests will not be uncomfortably warm. Likewise, in winter months, consider booking a wedding venue with a fully heated tent—even in Texas, it can get chilly!
- Pesky insects: … unwelcome guests! Think ahead about any unwanted critters at your outdoor ceremony. The last thing you (or your guests) want is ants under the table, or mosquitos making everyone itch all night. If you’re hosting the party in your own space, make a treatment plan months before the occasion with non-toxic, eco-friendly repellent. If you’re booking with an experienced wedding venue, be sure to ask about this topic during your tour.
- The number one best thing you can do to pull off a seamless outdoor wedding is book a wedding venue with experience in hosting outdoor weddings. Your venue director will be familiar with the ins and outs of crafting a beautifully styled and seamlessly executed outdoor wedding. The vendor director can also be available to manage any unforeseen issues without you even needing to know. Booking with a venue that has outdoor and indoor options provides a built-in rain plan, and your vendue is likely to already have staple accommodations like tents and restrooms.
Along with these major tips, be considerate in small ways during your outdoor wedding and reception. Provide plenty of water, and be certain you have enough seating so nobody will be required to stand too long. Whether in your own backyard, or at our historic Austin Texas wedding venue, an outdoor wedding can be stress-free if you simply plan ahead for any major obstacles. Your best bet for hosting the outdoor wedding of your dreams is to work with a wedding venue who can help! The easiest way to ensure outdoor wedding success is to book a wedding venue with the professional experience and creative vision to pull everything together flawlessly.